- Slippers
- A loosely fitting clean set of clothes to go home in. Received some cozy clothes for lounging in for Christmas so those will work perfect for this!
- Shoes for walking outdoors
- Toiletries, esp. toothbrushes, toothpaste, hairbrush, shampoo, hair ties, and chap stick
- A 4-inch piece of fresh ginger root (keep in the fridge or freezer until you leave for the center) for perineal compresses during the pushing stage of labor.
- Clothes for the baby: 1 cotton stretch newborn hat, 1 receiving blanket, and a heavier blanket. This has been my hardest decision! Seems so simple but I want her first outfit to be perfect :)
- Fluids: Recharge (an electrolyte drink available at the Coop, Ralph’s Thriftway or Fred Meyer), coconut water, juices, or herbal teas.)
- Plenty of food and snacks for yourself and your support people. So happy I will be able to eat during labor!
- A change of clothes for your partner and other support people.
- Your “Postpartum Instructions For Mom & Baby” and “Vital Signs Checklist” sheets
- Insurance information
- Overnight maxi pads (2)
- Homeopathic arnica tablets
- Camera. Just bought a video camera too so we wil be bringing that also!
- Swimsuit for partner. Still not sure if I want David in the birthing tub with me but he is going to bring his swim trunks just in case :)
- Comforting items, such as your favorite pillow(s) and blanket(s), photographs, special massage oil, music (CDs), IPOD. Will probably bring our own pillows and cozy blanket to help me sleep better, well that is if I can sleep :)
- 3 days prepared food in your freezer (ask your friends or family for help with this)
- 1 digital thermometer that signals when finished (ear & forehead thermometers do not work well with infants)
- Optional: 1 small jar of calendula salve (available at our office) or Arbordoun's calendula cream (ointment for nipple care)
- 3 packets of postpartum sitz bath herbs (available at our office, or at Radiance Herbs & Massage)
- 3 whole fresh garlic heads (not just the cloves) This is used with the sitz bath
- 3 cups sea salt. This is also used with the sitz bath!
After the birth:
- Make prior arrangements to have another adult stay with you for at least the first 24 hours. We strongly recommend bed rest for 3 days except for trips to the bathroom.
- Maxi pads
Do they provide diapers & wipes for the baby? I would take a couple onesies, sleepers, and then an outfit. Not sure if they provide onesies for baby? Also, Maybe a couple receiving blankets. Nursing pads and bra. Even though it usually takes a couple days for your milk to come in; I always just felt more comfortable knowing I was covered :) I would bring a few maxi's too (again not sure what they provide) I totally agree with bed rest for 3 days. How long is David off for?
ReplyDeleteWell so far David isn't really off at all and has to go in the morning for paperwork, but we will see!
ReplyDelete