Until recently I have had no prego downers such as nausea, back pain, food aversions, etc; however I think my lucky streak has come to an end! K so I may be exaggerating just a tad but my leg cramps I have been getting every night are a nightmare! At the beginning of my leg cramp saga I would think of how much more labor is going to hurt and relax and breath and they would go away pretty fast (David loves how I compare leg cramps to labor but hey it worked). However last night the sudden tightening of my leg muscles were horrible, and this may because there were multiple episodes.
So why do pregnant women get leg cramps more then normal? Well the reasons for increased leg cramps during pregnancy aren't clear. They may be caused by: Changes in blood circulation during pregnancy, the stress on your leg muscles of carrying the extra weight of pregnancy (which I have only gained five pounds over my regular weight so I doubt that is it), or the pressure of the growing baby on the nerves and blood vessels that go to your legs. So what is a mama to do? Babycenter.com says I should try stretching my legs, avoid sitting or standing in one position for a long period of time, exercise, drink plenty of fluids, and increase my potassium intake. Some foods that are high in potassium are all meats, poultry, fish, apricots, avocados, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, Lima beans, milk, oranges, potatoes, prunes, spinach, and tomatoes.
So I'm going to increase in all these yummy foods and try exercising more and see if that will help. I do have to say though that I would take a leg cramp every night way over being sick every morning!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment